Title 19 | Chapter 4 | Subchapter 22
SUBCHAPTER 22 - REVIEW OF DISCRETIONARY GRANTS
19-4-2201. Definitions - Review generally - Exempt grants.
(a) For the purposes of this subchapter: (1)"Discretionary grant" means a grant in which the recipient of the grant funds or the formula for the grant award is not specifically stated in the legislation authorizing the grant;
(2) "Nondiscretionary grant" means a grant in which the recipient of the grant funds or the formula for the grant award is specifically stated in the legislation authorizing the grant, or in specific agency regulations promulgated by the agency and reviewed by the Legislative Council, or in the case of federal funds, in the statute, regulation, or other federal directive which restricts the disbursement of the funds according to federal guidelines; and
(3) "State agency" means:
(A) Every board, commission, department, division, or office of state government whether executive, legislative, or judicial; and
(B) All state-supported post-secondary educational institutions, including, but not limited to, colleges and universities, vocational and technical schools, and community colleges.
(b) Hereafter, no state agency shall award any discretionary grant prior to review by the Legislative Council between legislative sessions or by the Joint Budget Committee during legislative sessions. However, if a state agency determines that an emergency exists requiring the discretionary grant to be awarded prior to review, it may award the discretionary grant prior to the review by the Legislative Council or the Joint Budget Committee, and shall immediately notify the Legislative Council between legislative sessions, or the Joint Budget Committee during legislative sessions, as to the facts constituting the emergency.
(c) Grants exempt from review shall include:
(1) Grants for which the total consideration is less than or equal to ten thousand dollars ($10,000);
(2) Nondiscretionary grants as determined by the agency;
(3) Grants to another governmental entity such as a state agency, public educational institution, federal governmental entity, or body of a local government;
(4) Disaster relief grants; November 1, 2011 200
(5) Grants identified as not requiring review by the Legislative Council between legislative sessions, or the Joint Budget Committee during legislative sessions;
(6) Grants containing confidential information, the disclosure of which is determined by the agency to constitute a violation of other provisions of law regarding disclosure; and
(7) Any scholarship or financial assistance award to, or on behalf of, a post-secondary student.
History. Acts 1999, No. 1032, § 1.
19-4-2202. Review of nonexempt grants.
The Legislative Council between legislative sessions, and the Joint Budget Committee during legislative sessions, shall review all nonexempt discretionary grants by state agencies, and notify the agencies as to the results of the review. The Legislative Council or the Joint Budget committee shall notify agencies of any other grants identified as not requiring review.
History. Acts 1999, No. 1032, § 2.