Children in Out-of-Home Care 

Both parents of a child placed outside the home may be required to pay child support. Out-of-home placements include foster homes, group homes, and juvenile correctional facilities.

Federal and state laws require parents to pay child support even if the out-of-home placement is not their choice. Parents may have to pay child support for their child’s care whether the parents live together or not. Parents may owe child support back to the time the child was first placed outside the home.

Social service agencies and juvenile courts work with the local child support agencies to provide all needed child support services for cases of a child placed outside the home.