Closing a Case

Custodial Parties 
If you want OCSE to stop taking action to establish or enforce your court order, you may ask us to close your enforcement case. Closing your enforcement case does not mean the child support order goes away.  Your case will remail open as a payment processing case so that any payments that come in will be disbursed to you.

If you want to close your enforcement case, submit a typed or hand-written request to your local child support office

If there is an existing court order requiring the other parent to pay child support, please be aware of the following before you sign and return the form asking OCSE to stop providing services: 

  • The noncustodial parent is required to continue to pay child support as long as there is a court order requiring him or her to do so. Stopping child support services does not have any effect on an existing court order. Only the court can make a change to the order. 
  • If the noncustodial parent pays child support by income withholding, OCSE will continue to record any payments received at the Clearinghouse and send those payments to you.  
  • If you receive cash assistance or Medicaid, OCSE may not be able to close your case. Contact your local child support office for more information. 

If you close your enforcement case, OCSE will NO LONGER PROVIDE the following services:

  • Maintain records of how much past-due support is owed 
  • Keep track of the noncustodial parent’s employer to ensure that any new employer withholds child support 
  • Ensure that an employer or health insurance provider complies with any orders requiring health care coverage 
  • Take any action to enforce your child or medical support order such as: 

             - Intercepting federal and state income tax refunds  
             - Seizing bank accounts 
             - Suspending driver’s and professional licenses 
             - Flagging passports 

  • If you received cash assistance in the past and there is still child support owed to the state from that time period, OCSE will continue to intercept the NCP's federal tax refund to pay that debt. 

If you close your enforcement case, OCSE will stop all efforts to collect your support. We will release any licenses, passports, or liens on bank accounts.

If you believe that OCSE’s child support enforcement activities place you or your children at risk of harm, please call your local child support office to discuss other options that may be available to you.

Payment processing cases – payment processing cases are only closed when the obligation to pay child support ends or when the court or another child support agency requests that we close the case. 

Noncustodial Parents 
The person who opened the child support case is the only person who can request that the enforcement case be closed. If you want us to stop enforcing a child support order, you may seek the advice of a private attorney.