Locating the Noncustodial Parent

Can OCSE help find a noncustodial parent who is constantly moving? 

Yes. OCSE will attempt to find the parent using whatever information is provided by the custodial parent and from other sources. The most important information in finding missing parents is their Social Security number. If the Social Security number is unknown, other information such as date of birth, friends, relatives and former employers should be provided. The more you take an active role in getting information to your caseworker, the more success you will have in obtaining regular and full child support payments for your children.

My child's noncustodial parent is stationed somewhere for the military, but I don't know where. Can OCSE find the noncustodial parent? 

Yes. The Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS) can provide the current duty station of a parent who is any branch of the service if OCSE has the noncustodial parent's Social Security number.

I think the noncustodial parent is still in the area. What information will OCSE need to find them? 

Most important are the Social Security number and any recent employer's name and address. Also helpful are the names, addresses, and phone numbers of relatives, friends, or former employers who might know where he/she works or lives.

What will happen when the caseworker has the current address of the noncustodial parent? 

The worker will verify the home and work addresses, and take the next appropriate action on the case, which may include asking the noncustodial parent to come to an OCSE office for an interview, or notifying him/her that legal action may be taken.