Consumer Use Tax
The Sales and Use Tax Section has developed a form for individuals to report the Use Tax on purchases made from out-of-state. Use Tax is a tax on tangible personal property purchased out-of-state and brought into Arkansas for use, storage, consumption, or distribution. The tax is designed to assure fair competition between Arkansas businesses and out-of-state businesses.
Businesses and individuals should pay Use Tax if they:
- Purchased items outside Arkansas that would be taxable if purchased in Arkansas (including items from catalogues, TV advertisements, magazines, the Internet, etc.)
- Use, store, consume, or distribute these items in Arkansas, and
- Have not paid Arkansas sales tax or an equivalent amount to another state.
Examples of items subject to Use Tax include records, CD's, books, furniture, jewelry, clothing, food, hunting and fishing gear, etc. These are only a few examples; all tangible personal property purchased out of state is subject to the Use Tax.
Effective July 1, 2013, the State Use Tax rate is the same as the Sales Tax rate, 6.500%. In addition, you are required to remit the city and/or county tax for where the items are first delivered in Arkansas. A list of tax rates for cities and counties may be obtained from the Sales Tax Office or downloaded from this website (City & County Tax Rates). If you legally paid sales tax on the items in the other state, you could be entitled to a tax credit for the tax paid to the other state against the tax due Arkansas. If you pay less than the Arkansas tax rate to the other state, you must pay Arkansas the difference.
The Individual Consumer Use Tax Form is available in the taxpayer's state income tax booklet, may be downloaded from the Sales and Use Tax Section's website, or obtained by calling the Sales and Use Tax Office. If you have further questions regarding Use Tax, you may contact the Sales and Use Tax Office at (501) 682-7104. Office hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. If you have questions or concerns regarding the interpretation, collection, and/or enforcement of Sales and Use Tax laws of another State, District, or Territory of the United States then please see the link for the respective Taxing Authority provided below.
Other State Tax Agencies
Use Tax is a tax on tangible personal property purchased out-of-state and brought into Arkansas for use, storage, consumption, or distribution. The tax is designed to assure fair competition between Arkansas businesses and out-of-state businesses.
|Consumer Use Tax Report (Purchases Made from Out-of-State) | CU-1||05/10/2016|
|Aviation Sales and Use Tax Remittance Form | AV-1||03/06/2017|
- Sales and Use Tax
- Consumer Use Tax Project
- Miscellaneous Tax
- Motor Fuel Tax
- Revenue Rules
- Sales and Use Tax
- Remote Sellers
- Arkansas Remote Seller Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Candy, Soft Drinks, and Digital Products
- 2017 What's New
- 2015 What's New
- 2014 What's New
- 2018 Sales Tax Holiday
- Business Closure Orders
- City & County Tax Rates
- Consumer Use Tax
- Due Dates
- Electronic Filing and Payment Options
- Exemption Statistics
- Farm Utility Exemption Notice
- Sales and Use Tax Forms
- Local Sales and Use Tax Information
- Local Tax Lookup Tools
- NAICS Code Information
- Permit ID Inquiry
- Recent Changes for Local Taxes
- Recent Changes in State Taxes
- Report Suspicious Tax Activity
- Return File Upload Information
- Special Event Sales Tax Info
- State Tax Rates
- Streamlined Sales Tax Project
- Streamlined Tax Lookup
- Tax Collection Data
- Tax Rate Charts
- Voluntary Disclosure Program
- Who Must Pay By EFT?
- Sales and Use Tax FAQs
- Other State Tax Agencies
- Tax Clearance or Certificate of Tax Standing Procedures
- Tax Credits/Special Refunds
- Taxpayers Bill of Rights